In 2014, I left the wirehouse world and launched Define Financial, a fee-only financial planning firm headquartered in San Diego, CA.
I started my firm for three main reasons:
- To create a business model that adhered to the Fiduciary standard.
- To specialize in helping people over age 50 lower their taxes in retirement.
- To creatively grow my practice and build a platform to help more people.
Since launching Define Financial, I’ve been recognized as “The #2 Independent Advisor in the U.S.” by Investopedia and a “Top RIA in America” by Financial Advisor Magazine.
- Co-Founder of The AGC™ Community for Advisors
- Host of the Experiments in Advisor Marketing Podcast (Apple Top 50)
- Host of the Stay Wealthy Retirement Podcast (Forbes Top 10)
- Co-Host of Kitces Summit’s w/ Michael Kitces
- Founder of the Retirement Podcast Network
- Regular Contributor to Kiplinger
When I’m not perfecting financial plans, you can find me traveling with my wife and kids, searching for the next best carne asada burrito, or trying to master Adam Scott’s golf swing.
Endurance: Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.
Whenever I think about complaining or giving up, I remind myself of this true (and unbelievable) story. It’s not just that they endured — but they found a way to do it while having fun and making the best of their situation. They found a way to “enjoy the process”, which is something I am working hard at this year.
Industry: Financial Advisor Success Podcast with Michael Kitces
Business: How I Built This with Guy Raz
Fun: Reply All by Gimlet
MOST PEOPLE DON’T KNOW…
…my wife and I met at 18! Put me in a dorm room next to a beautiful, smart girl from San Diego who shares her homework with me and it’s game over. 😉
Hiring an intern:
BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT (PERSONALLY)
And…hiking Mt. Whitney – the highest summit in the continental U.S at 14,505 ft.
BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT (PROFESSIONALLY)
Leaving the corporate wealth management world and starting my firm.