In 2014, I left the wirehouse world and launched Define Financial, a fee-only financial planning firm headquartered in San Diego, CA.
I started my firm for two main reasons:
- I wanted to create a business model that was bound by the Fiduciary standard
- I wanted the freedom and flexibility to creatively grow my practice and help more people
Since launching Define Financial, I’ve been recognized as a “Top 40 Advisor Under 40” by InvestmentNews and named as “The #2 Independent Advisor in the U.S.” by Investopedia.
- A Regular Contributor to Kiplinger
- The Co-Founder of The AGC™ Community for Advisors
- Host of the Experiments in Advisor Marketing Podcast
- Host of the Stay Wealthy Retirement Podcast
- Founder of the Retirement Podcast Network
When I’m not perfecting financial plans, you can find me traveling with my wife and two sons (Sawyer & Sutton), searching for the next best carne asada burrito, or trying to master Adam Scott’s golf swing.
The first that comes to mind is Endurance: Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. Whenever I think about complaining or giving up on something, I think about this book. It’s not just that they endured — but they found a way to do it while having fun and making the best of their situation. They found a way to “enjoy the process”, which is something I am working hard at this year.
Business: How I Built This with Guy Raz
Fun: Reply All by Gimlet
MOST PEOPLE DON’T KNOW…
…my wife and I met at 18! Put me in a dorm room next to a beautiful, smart girl from San Diego who shares her homework with me and it’s game over.
Hiring an intern:
BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT (PERSONALLY)
My wife and kids, of course. But also hiking Mt. Whitney – the highest summit in the continental U.S at 14,505 ft.
BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT (PROFESSIONALLY)
Leaving the corporate wealth management world and starting my firm: